Collecting unpaid wages after terminated employment.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Collecting unpaid wages after terminated employment.

I was terminated from employment over the phone. I did not receive my unpaid wages until that pay weeks payday. After the deposit was made I realize that I didn’t receive all the hours that I worked. I sent an email requesting for the review of that pay weeks timesheet at that time it was confirmed that there was some hours missing from my paycheck. And that I would receive does unpaid wages on the following payday, which payroll was bi-weekly. I responded again to request that I receive those missing wages immediately. My employer responded oh, that I would receive it on the following bi-weekly pay day I am also trying to withdraw my 401k account which I was informed that the disbursement process cannot be initiated until I receive the last paycheck from my employer and that they receive documentation of my terminated employment. It has been 11 days since my termination date, and a little bit over a week since I’ve requested for my unpaid wages. Does my situation meet the requirements to proceed with collecting unpaid wages through small claims. Even if the employer had told me that I would receive the unpaid wages on the second bi-weekly payday. The payday following my termination date was when I discovered the unpaid wages, so the unpaid wages are depositing on the second payday following my termination date. It is my understanding that sending request to the employer in writing for the unpaid wages, that after 7 days I would be compensated for every day up to 60 days until they have paid the wages I’ve earned

Asked on April 16, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Yes, under the circumstances of your now-former employer being provably late in paying you, you can sue in small claims for the unpaid wages--you can always dismiss the case, after all, if they do belatedly pay you.
You are correct that you are entitled for extra pay, up to 60 days worth, for each day that pay is late starting 7 days after your written request.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption