Is rent skimming a felony?

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Is rent skimming a felony?

My brother is collecting rent from a tenant that leased his condo but is not paying the mortgage on the property (as it does not come close to the mortgage payment and he lost his job). I am concerned about legal action. From what I have read “Rent Skimming” varies from state to state. Does anyone know the legal implications?

Asked on July 18, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that is does indeed vary from state to state.  Unless the law has recently changed (within the last year), it is not illegal per se to collect rent and not pay the mortgage in Connecticut.  Some states, such as California, do have "rent skimming" statutes on the books and severe penalties.  Your brother will have to pay the mortgage one way or another or lose the property in foreclosure. He has a right to make good on his loan "until the gavel falls" meaning until the last possible moment before the condo is sold to someone else. His right is primary as against other bidders.  He should, though, seek some debt counseling help and maybe speak with the bank about a short sale of the condo or a loan modification.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption