co-workers dislike me. What will be discrimination based on origin? I am from another country and have an accent.

UPDATED: May 14, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

co-workers dislike me. What will be discrimination based on origin? I am from another country and have an accent.

I would like to make notes about their behaviors but I do not know it is discrimination or personal issues. What facts I have to record? My friends tell me that I am too sensitive and there are probably nothing but I am depressed. I am crying from their weird acting. What they can do and what they cannot do? What will be strong prove of the discrimination? Can I request from my employer to provide normal working environment? what I can do if they do not provide it?

Asked on May 14, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


N. K., Member, Iowa and Illinois Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) enforces the federal prohibition against national origin discrimination which applies to employers with 15 or more employees. Here is the EEOC's online facts about national origin discrimination:

Here is more information about the Virginia Human Rights Act which also prohibits this kind of discrimination:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption