What are my rights as a co-owner when I want to live in the home but the other co-owner wants their child to live there?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights as a co-owner when I want to live in the home but the other co-owner wants their child to live there?

Basically telling me I have no rights to the property and their wishes come first? Can I force them to buy me out or force them to sell to me? I really want to keep the home but my sister is very unreasonable and wants it for her kids. We both inherited it from our brother.

Asked on April 4, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You have *equal* rights as co-owners. Either you or your sister (or her child, if she wants) can live there, and neither can exclude the other. If the space is large enough for you and the child to both live there--e.g. two bedrooms or more--you can both live in it, and if your sister or her child don't like you living there, the child can move out. If it's not large enough for both to live there or you and she simply can't decide on a usage (e.g. neither you nor the child want to live with the other), if you can't voluntarily work matters out between you, you can go to court and seek a court order requiring the property to be sold and the proceeds distirbuted or split. You would file the action in chancery court (a division of county court), seeking an order for "partition."

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption