How canI force a co-owner of real property to sell?

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 23, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How canI force a co-owner of real property to sell?

Approximately, 2 years ago I purchased a house with someone else as a co-signer. We separated; we are not married. I have been trying to resolve the situation amicably but he refuses. What can I do to get off the loan?

Asked on December 23, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You really have 2 issues here: (1) how to get you name off of a loan, and (2) how to force the sale of jointly owned property.

As to the first issue, you can ask your co-borrower to ask the lender to allow what is called a "novation" to remove your name; realistically however this is rarely allowed.  Still, it's worth a try.  A novation could be accomplished by your co-owner owner paying the mortgage for a period of time (typically 8-12 months), then if he/she is current and has never been late, and they can prove that hey were the only one paying the mortgage, your lender may allow them to remove your name from the mortgage without having to refinance.  Also, a novation may also be obtained if yor co-borrower "buys" your release by making a substantial payment to reduce the mortgage balance. As for the second issue,  you may have no choice but to pursue something in the law known as "partition". This is a legal remedy available to co-owners of property when they cannot agree as to ownership matters.  Partition allows for the division of property among co-owners; any co-owner can file for such an action.  Accordingly, if a property can be physically divided the Court will so instruct.  However, where division would be impracticable (as in the instance of a single family house) a Court would order a sale in lieu of partition and an equitable division of the proceeds among the co-owners.  Before doing so however, the court would permit one co-owner to purchase the interest of the remaining co-owner at fair market value.

Note: If the co-owner is a spouse, then that may change things.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption