How do I claim a real estate inheritance?

UPDATED: May 27, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 27, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How do I claim a real estate inheritance?

When my mother died she still owned the house that she and my father bought during their marriage. The house was given to her by my father during their divorce some time ago. My mother had remarried some years before she died. Upon her death we discovered she did not have a Will in place. I was told that because there was no Will and because the house was non-communal property between my mother and my stepfather, ownership of the house would be handed to the next of kin. Distribution would be 1/2 to my stepfather, 1/4 to me, and 1/4 to my sister. How do we go about claiming our half of the house and property so that it’s not sold out from under us?

Asked on May 27, 2011 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I really think that you need to consult with an attorney in the Florida area on the matter and you need to bring with you the deed to the house.  Who ever told you about the distribution may be correct but then again, they may not be correct.  While it is true that your Mother dies "intestate" and that the intestacy laws int he state will prevail, there is something key left out here: did she transfer the property in to she and her husband's name or is it considered separate property and thereby going in to the pot, so to speak, of her estate?  If it is the latter  - which is what I am assuming given the information in the question - then the personal representative can either transfer the property to you all in various shares of sell the property and distribute the proceeds accordingly.  But remember that if the estate has debts some of the money may need to go to pay them first.  You really need someone to look at the entire picture here.  Good luck.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption