Can I claim my parents as dependents on my health insurance?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I claim my parents as dependents on my health insurance?

I live in the state of IL and would like to know what motion to file in court in order to claim parents as dependents on health insurance. Is there such a thing? Is this doable? If so, what are the requirements? My dad is in his 60s and is a couple of years away from applying for SS. My mother is in her mid 50s and has chronic arthritis. Any advice you can give is greatly appreciated.

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Insurance Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If I am understanding your question correctly, the answer to your question is no, you can not claim your parents as dependents on your health insurance coverage.  The laws are not that liberal. What you may be able to do though, and you could have to speak with an accountant on the matter here, is to claim them as dependents on your tax returns if in fact you meet the qualifications.  Then it ma be possible if you pay for their health insurance coverage to claim it as a deduction if in fact you meet the monetary requirement under the tax law.  Please speak with someone in you area on the matter.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption