How can an employee get reimbursed for business expenses put on a credit card that is in both their and their employer’s name?

UPDATED: May 17, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 17, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

How can an employee get reimbursed for business expenses put on a credit card that is in both their and their employer’s name?

Former pastor received credit card. The card is in the pastor’s name and church’s name. All charges were church related, such as church repairs. None was for personal use. Pastor resigned, and relocated to another state. Church refuses to pay bill. Does pastor have any legal recourse?

Asked on May 17, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Arkansas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

It depends on what the agreement was in regards to expense reimbursement between the pastor and his ex-church prior to his incurring those expenses. The law does not require employers to reimburse expenses--it is up to employers to establish their own policies, though those polices are then enforceable until and unless changed. If the church had been reimbursing employee (or at least this pastor's) expenses previously, then unless they had officially announced a change in their policy before he incurred these expenses, they need to reimburse this last expenses. If the church will not pay, the pastor could sue them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption