Children involed

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Children involed

I have two daughters, ages 10 and 7 years old. This past weekend they
were visiting their father. When they returned home, they told me that
they were in an accident with their father. They also said that their
father went to the emergency room but, not take them. They are now both
having pain, soreness and headaches. Their father didn’t tell me what
happened at all. How do I do an insurance claim for them?

Asked on October 25, 2016 under Personal Injury, South Carolina


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the father was at fault in the accident, the personal injury claims for your daughters are filed with his insurance carrier. 
If he was not at fault in the accident, the personal injury claims for your daughters are filed with the at-fault party's insurance carrier.  Each daughter has a separate personal injury claim. 
When each girl completes her medical treatment and is released by the doctor or is declared by the doctor to be permanent and stationary which means having reached a point in medical treatment where no further improvement is anticipated, obtain the medical bills and medical reports.  The personal injury claims filed with the at-fault party's insurance carrier should include those items.
Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  The medical reports will document the nature and extent of the injuries and will be used to determine compensation for pain and suffering which is an amount in addition to the medical bills. 
If each daughter's case is settled with the at-fault party's insurance carrier, NO lawsuit is filed.
If you are dissatisfied with settlement offers from the at-fault party's insurance carrier, reject the settlement offers and file a lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party.  You will need to be appointed guardian ad litem to file a lawsuit on behalf of your daughter(s) because they are minors.
If the cases are NOT settled, the lawsuit for negligence against the at-fault party must be filed prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or your daughter(s) will lose her/ their rights forever in the matter.
If the case is settled with one but not both daughters, only name the daughter with whom the case has not settled as a plaintiff in the lawsuit.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption