child labor laws

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

child labor laws

Hey, I’m 18 now but, I have been working at my job since I was 17. My boss
required me to work over 40 hours while I’m attending high school, work past
midnight on school nights, and work 10 hour shifts with no break. Is this legal, and
if it is not, can I take legal action and receive compensation?

Asked on June 5, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, this was not illegal: in your state, there are no limitations or restrictions on hours worked for 17 year olds; the restrictions apply to under-16-year-olds.
In addition, you can't get compensation if you were paid for all time you worked: if you were paid, even if the employer had violated the law and could be fined, *you* did not suffer any loss or compensible injury, since were paid for your work.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption