Child Custody Modification When There is a Material Change of Circumstances

Get Legal Help Today

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by Jeffrey Johnson
Insurance Lawyer Jeffrey Johnson

UPDATED: Jul 14, 2021

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Custody battles make great fodder for TV shows and movies, but the reality typically involves significantly less drama. A court signs off on a custody plan that is created for the kids, and both parents share the child or children accordingly.

If someone wants to make a significant change to a custody agreement, though, as in change primary custody from one parent to the other, things can get a little trickier. There are essentially two options. The first option is for the parent seeking the change to get the other parent to agree to the change. This might be unlikely, but if the parents do manage to come to a consensus on a change, the court is generally going to sign off on it without any issue as long as it appears to be in the best interests of the children. The second option requires the parent seeking the change in custody without the other’s approval to petition the court to make the alteration.

A custody agreement isn’t just going to be changed on a whim, and some courts require a waiting period following the original custody agreement, during which no changes can be made unless the parent seeking the change can show some type of imminent danger or harm to the child. This waiting period may be as long as two years.

Outside of the waiting period, the parent seeking the change will first have to prove that something called a “material change in circumstances” has occurred. A material change in circumstances is a very significant change, like one parent losing the ability to care for a child, moving away, or developing a substance abuse problem.

If the parent requesting the change is able to show that something significant and important changed, the court will next consider whether the change is in the best interests of the children. If it is, the requested change will be granted.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption