What to do if my daughter doesn’t want to visit her father?

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my daughter doesn’t want to visit her father?

I am currently pro-se in a child custody case. I have retained custody of my daughter and she doesn’t want to visit her father on his weekends. Is she going to be forced to see her father even if she doesn’t want to be around him? Last year, he took her for 8 days without telling me where and refused to allow the kids to tell me anything. The judge ignored the situation.

Asked on January 12, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Is there any way that you can see if you qualify for legal aid or any pro bono family services here just to get you some muscle in the situation?  If there is not and the judge keeps ignoring the situations that pop up then you need to make a record - ask for a court reporter or check if the court has its own recoding devices - for every issue and incident that you bring up.  You will have to appeal any order where the judge ignores the law.  Now, as for the weekend visits.  You need to explain to your daughter that should she refuse to go it will only make it harder on you.  He will take you back to court and you will be held in violation of the order. You have not stated how old she is.  If the situation is harmful for her then that is something you can raise in court.  If she is old enough to testify then a judge will let her.  But she can not say things like "he is too strict" or "he does not let me watch tv" as a reason for not going.  They have to be concrete reasons.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption