Check on closed account

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Check on closed account

I recieved a certified letter that was delivered at my mother’s place of business, she signed for it but I didn’t get it until a week later. It was from a man saying that I had 15 days to make good on $1200 that I purchase a dirtbike with for my nephew or he was taking it to the states attorneys office for prosecution. I do not know this man, and no nothing about a dirtbike, there was a copy of the check and it did belong to me, it was a starter check from a closed account. Was not my DL or my signature and it wasn’t me who gave him the check; it must of been taken from someone and I have no idea who that could be. I a while back had my purse stolen and have a case number from that and someone had been in my house but only noticed clothes and my microwave was taken, I have been staying with my daughter…my 15 days are up, I got the letter late and didn’t have any knowledge of any of this until I got the letter. I have not contacted this man who will see it was not me who gave the check because I really didnt know how to go about it. Could I be responsible for paying the money or could I get into trouble by law. I am 40 years old and never been in trouble in my life so I’m kind of freaking. Why would he give the dirtbike to whoever before knowing if the check would clear?

Asked on July 17, 2019 under Criminal Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you are not liable for another person's crime, such as the theft of and use of your check, or passing a bad check to the dirt bike seller. If sued or if there's an effort to press charges, show that the account is closed; show the case number from your purse theft; show samples of your handwriting and your DL, whether in court or to the police, as the case may be. Show it wasn't you that did this and you are not liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption