Cheating Husband and Divorce, where to start?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Cheating Husband and Divorce, where to start?

My husband and I have been married for five years. For all five of those years, he has cheated on my with several other women via the internet and is making plans to leave me next month to live with one of his mistresses. He is currently the only one that works and pays the bills while I take care of our three year old child. We reside in Kentucky and I have no idea where to start or what I can do to keep a roof over my child and my head while I start looking for a job and child care.

Asked on August 28, 2017 under Family Law, Kentucky


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You start by speaking to a divorce or family law attorney. You want an attorney's help because there is a way to file for your divorce and in the filing seek "temporary" support or alimony: that is, get interim support from your husband even while you are divorcing him, to make sure that you can still pay the bills and take care of your child. 
However, the way court rules are, this sort of interim or temporary support is always more procedurally complex to file for and obtain; additional requirements on put on you when you want the other side (.e. your husband) to start paying you even before there was any final determination of what it would be fair for him to pay. Therefore, you very much want an attorney to help you with this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption