Chargeback fraud

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Chargeback fraud

I filed a dispute with my credit card company
because the merchant did not want to provide
me with proof that she complete the services I
paid her for. All shes giving me is dates that
she complete the service. The merchant lost
the dispute with my credit card company, now
she is stating that she will seek legal actions
against me and add court and attorney fees to
the cost. I paid her 500 for credit repair
services and she still has not sent me any
proof that any work was done. Can she sue me
because she lost with my credit card company?
She is stating that isnis fraud because I filed a
dispute after she did work for me.

Asked on July 26, 2018 under Criminal Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you be sued even though the credit card company feels that your dispute is valid and that she has not proven that you owe the money. The credit card company is not a court; their determination is not legally binding on anyone. She can sue and try to prove in court that she provided the services and that you therefore owe her money; if she can do this, the court will issue a judgment against you, requiring you to pay. She can definitely get the court costs if she sues and wins--that's the law. She can only get attorneys fees if she wins and there was some term or provision in whatever service agreement or contract you signed with her that she could get attorney's fees if she takes legal action and prevails.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption