Chapter 7 dicharged, can I still keep the property?

UPDATED: May 11, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 11, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Chapter 7 dicharged, can I still keep the property?

If I filed Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and it has been discharged; without reaffirming my home will the lender still work with me to keep it? What are the legal rights lenders can pursue on a property after Chapter 7 has been discharged?

Asked on May 11, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

They take the property -- you don't owe the money anymore but you don't get to keep the property -- i.e., you don't get something for nothing.  So, they will foreclose on you most likely. 

Unfortunately, this is one of the downsides of bankruptcy.

If you want to work out a deal to purchase it back, contact a real estate attorney in your state and see what can be done.  Try

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption