Chapter 13 and Divorce (in IN)

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 21, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Chapter 13 and Divorce (in IN)

I live in Indiana..My husband and I recently filed for Chp 13 Bankruptcy and our first payment is due next month.We have discussed divorce and have come to an agreement that this is what we both wish to do.Can you tell me how this would work?

Asked on June 21, 2009 under Bankruptcy Law, Indiana


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

You would really need to speak with a divorce attorney in your area on this.  Even if you decide to split the payments under your Chapter 13 plan equally and especially if you do not, arrangements for who pays how much and when will need to be spelled out; preferably in written agreement signed by the both of you.  There could also be other side issues involved that will need to be addressed.

Again, an attorney will best be able to guide and advise you on all of this.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption