Change my social security name

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Change my social security name

I am separated but still use my married name but never changed my Social Security card. Now I have different accounts using my married name. I get SSD in my maiden name only. I use my first name, my maiden name then my married name. I can’t get a ID without changing my Social Security card. I have been separated for about 2 years and don’t have money to get a divorce. If I change my card now would it affect my Social Security benefits?

Asked on March 31, 2019 under Family Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Legally, will it affect your benefits? No--a name change does not alter what you are entitled to. However, is it possible it will cause some disruption, confusion, or delay in benefits payments? Yes--any time you ask a large bureaucratic organization, like Social Security, to change something, there is a possibility of a SNAFU which will take some time and effort to correct. Make sure you have a few months savings if at all possible before doing this, to tide you over any disruption.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption