Change in pay/job title pregnant.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Change in pay/job title pregnant.

I am 30 weeks pregnant my doctor put me on
restricted work hours because I am having
complications pregnant I am on salary and work
50 hours so this takes away 20 hours a week I
can work. My hr lady hasn’t contacted me once
but has already taken me off salary and put me
as a bartender. Is this legal? Can they change
my salary pay as my doctor will not let me work?
Can I work from home for the additional 20

Asked on October 24, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

They can't change your pay or job title because you are pregnant, but they can change it if you can no longer do the job, including working all the hours the job requires and you had been working, due to your pregnancy (e.g. because your doctor put you on work restrictions). Your employer is not required to keep paying at a level you are not longer working, or to keep in you a job you can't do, and is also not required to convert an onsite job to one done in part remotely. Your work restrictions do not require the employer to pay you for doing a job you cannot do at present.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption