What isthe law regarding the cessation of alimony when there is remarriage?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What isthe law regarding the cessation of alimony when there is remarriage?

I was notified by my ex-spouse that she is getting re-married but she will not tell me when. Our son told me the wedding date, as well as that his future step-dad is living with them, and that his mom is pregnant. Is my ex required to tell me when she is getting married or is it up to me to find out? If she continues to collect alimony after the wedding date will she be required to give it back? The length of alimony is 5 years. Also, do I have to notify her prior to stopping alimony or does it just stop after remarriage? I am in the military.

Asked on July 13, 2010 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

It is my understanding that in California your obligation to pay spousal support ends upon the remarriage of your spouse, regardless of the length of the alimony previously awarded.  More importantly your obligation could be reduced or eliminated NOW based upon the fact that she is is cohabitating with her fiance. Is it possible to have your attorney write a letter for you?  I would also see if the military attorneys can help.  If not write to her and let her know that it is your understanding that under California law you are entitled to a reduction or elimination of the award of alimony due to her cohabitation and that upon remarriage all alimony payments are to cease.  If she over collects you may have to sue her to get it back.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption