If a caregiver/boyfriend of 25+ years lost their companion and know the home going into probate, do theyhave any rights to property?

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If a caregiver/boyfriend of 25+ years lost their companion and know the home going into probate, do theyhave any rights to property?

My brother has provided around-the-clock care to his quadriplegic girlfriend for the past 25+ years. His girlfriend recently passed away. Does he have any legal rights to the house or any compensation from the sale of her estate? It is unknown whether there is a Will.

Asked on October 17, 2011 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for his loss and for the situation. Obviously they were not legally married and Florida does not recognize common law marriage.  So he has no survivorship rights  - rights that allow property to pass automatically - to her estate or any property in her name only.  If there is a joint account then he would have rights as a joint owner.  But unless there is a Last Will and Testament that bequeaths him the property he can not make a claim to it.  If he thinks that there may be a Will then he should take care to look for it very quickly.  If her family chooses not to probate then he will get nothing under intestacy even if he is named in the Will.  Good luck to him.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption