If my car was parked in my driveway and was damaged by a neighbor’s child playing in my yard, who is responsible?

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 8, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my car was parked in my driveway and was damaged by a neighbor’s child playing in my yard, who is responsible?

The kid fell into my car while playing. He is a big and left a nice dent in my car. The car was parked in my driveway. The kid was playing in my yard and my neighbor’s yard, not his yard, with my kids. Who is responsible for fixing the dent?

Asked on September 8, 2011 under Accident Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The neighbor should be responsible. Parents are responsible for the actions of their children and for also "controlling" or supervising their children. Whether the child was negligent (careless); or if he's too young for that concept to apply, the parents were negligent by not supervising him better; or even (possibly) the child did the damage deliberately (e.g. got made, threw a tantrum), the parents should be responsible for paying for the damage he did. Of course, if they won't pay voluntarily, you would have to sue to seek compensation, which has it's own monetary and time costs, as well as obviously having a significant impact on your relations with these neighbors. Therefore, if they don't want to pay, weigh carefully whether it is worth bringing a legal action for compensation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption