What to do if a dealer won’t honor their guarantee?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if a dealer won’t honor their guarantee?

I bought a used car from an out of state car dealer 2 weeks ago. He gave me warranty on engine and transmission for 30 days. I registered the vehicle but itd did not pass inspection – emissions monitors not ready. Next day check engine light came on. The shop did diagnostic – catalytic converter is bad = $1200 with labor. I called the dealer and he said he will find a part and will call me back. After a few days of calling the dealer he finally says that I will have to pay for the part since this is not a part of the engine and is not covered by warranty. What should I do?

Asked on October 14, 2011 under General Practice, Massachusetts


Stan Helinski / McKinley Law Group

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

What's it part of? The radio? Pretty ridiculous.  I really don't know what recourse you would have but to file a small claims action. Check the NH small claims courts for procedure, they are generally pretty quick.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption