What can we do about a car accident that the other party is making a claim on and we only have liability insurance but our car was damaged as well?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can we do about a car accident that the other party is making a claim on and we only have liability insurance but our car was damaged as well?

I was in a car accident with no injuries and no ticket given by the police to either party. The other party believes that we are at fault as we were making a legal U-turn, and after checking traffic, proceeded with the turn when the other car came out from a parking lot and we collided. They are going to file a claim against our insurance. We have liability only and our car old will require some repair to make it drivable not a lot of money. What advise would you have for us?

Asked on August 14, 2017 under Accident Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If you have liability only, you'd have to get your money from the other driver or their insurer. If you believe they were at fault (only an at-fault driver has to pay), you could try to submit a claim to their insurer; if you do not know who that is, or you do submit but the insurer will not pay, your recourse would be to sue the other driver (you sue the driver, not his insurer) for the cost to repair your car. If you can prove in court by a "preponderance of the evidence" ("more likely than not") that the other driver was at fault, you can get a court judgment requiring them to pay. If the amount at stake is less than the limit for small claims court, suing in small claims, as your own attorney ("pro se"), is a good option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption