Can your place of employment demand a copy of the police report from an accident?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can your place of employment demand a copy of the police report from an accident?

I was rear-ended on my way into work today. I called work and told them about the accident and that I might not be in. They then informed me to bring a copy of the police report and er report from my wreck for corporate. Do they have a right to that info if it did not happen on their time? I want doing anything work related just heading into work for the day. It eeems kind of out of the ordinary for them to request it.

Asked on September 21, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Kansas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can request this information the same way that they can request your bringing in a doctor's note for being absent. That is unless you have an employment contract or union agreement to the contrary. The fact is that most work relationships are "at will". This means that a company can set the conditions of work much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionable discrimination).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption