Can your homeowners insurance only cover less than half of your house when you have paid your premium in full for a year?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can your homeowners insurance only cover less than half of your house when you have paid your premium in full for a year?

Can home owner insurance say that they will not cover organic shingles when they never sent out the homeowners policy and they just took your money?

Asked on August 31, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under all policies of insurance, custom and practice is for the policy to set forth what is covered under it for your yearly premiums subject to any and all "exclusions" set forth within the policy. IF the homeowner's policy has an exclusion within it as to "organic shingles" specifically stated, such is allowed under all insurance code provisions of all states in this country.

Given the uncertainty that you seem to have over your insurance policy, I suggest that you consult with an attorney that practices in the area of insurance law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption