can you write your will in tn

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2018Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can you write your will in tn

I have one son and he is on all my account, I am 75

Asked on July 13, 2018 under Estate Planning, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

For a modest charge, you can go online and purchase a Will form that you can fill out yourrself. Additionally, a "holographic Will" is one that is written by hand instead of printed or typed. TN generally recognizes such Wills but certain requirements must be met in order for it to be valid. First of all, you must have the "capacity" to create a Will, which means that must be at least 18 years old and of sound mind. Additionally, a holographic Will must entirely be in the handwriting of the testator (i.e. the maker). It should be noted that a valid holographic Will does not need to be witnessed at the time it is signed by the testator, however it must be verified at the time of probate by at least 2 witnesses.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption