can you undue a trust or will

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

can you undue a trust or will

i believe my grandmother left her property and everything to my uncle who is not
competent he has the mind of a 12 year old when she has 4 kids 1 in prison for
life 1 mentally ill and 1 whos no where responsible she currently is on hospice
at my house ive been taking care of her almost all of my life i am her
grandaughter is there any way i can fight for what she has left to her son

Asked on May 4, 2019 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can only challenge the creation of a trust or will on the following grounds, and will need evidence or proof (e.g. from doctors who treated your grandmother, of her incompetency; see below) to support whatever ground(s) you use to challenge it.
1) It was not properly signed or witnessed, since wills and trusts are only effective if your state's formalities or rules for creating them are following.
2) If your grandmother was not mentally competent when she created the will or trust, since only mentally competent people can create these things.
3) If your grandmother was coerced by illegal threats (e.g. of violence or blackmail) to do what she did.
4) If your grandmother was under the beneficiary's (e.g. your uncle's) "undue influence" when she created the will: that is, she left something significant to someone upon whom she was dependent (e.g. if she was disabled and he was her caregiver) and whom she could not effectively refuse, so the will or trust is not really the product of her own free choice.
5) If the will or trust was forged (i.e. not her signature) or the product of fraud (she was somehow tricked into thinking she was signing something else, not what she did sign).
Again, you will need evidence or proof to support the above.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption