Can you sue a work comp doc in missouri for malpractice or are they protected under worker compensation law?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you sue a work comp doc in missouri for malpractice or are they protected under worker compensation law?

I was in a wreck in my company truck was sent to ER then to work comp doc. He told me I was fine and sent me back to work. I still had trouble and advised him several times. It took him a 3weeks after my wreck to due mri of my neck and send me to a neck specialist, the specialist stated that work comp doc underdiagnoised me.I also suffered shoulder injury and was not sent to doc or have an mri till 4months after my wreck. Had to have rim rant tear fixed. Having trouble recovering.

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Malpractice Law, Missouri


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

I think you need to talk to a lawyer about your entire case here.  I'm not sure of the answer about your original workers comp doctor, either about whether he can be sued at all or whether he's committed malpractice.  Not every mistake a doctor makes is malpractice;  to win a case like that, you have to show that the doctor deviated from the accepted standard of care, and it usually takes another doctor to testify to that as an expert witness.

You should also talk to the lawyer about a "third party suit," if the wreck wasn't your fault.  You can't sue your employer or a co-worker for an on-the-job injury, but if someone else was to blame, they're not protected.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption