Can you still be prosecuted for a crime if the victim doesn’t want to press charges?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you still be prosecuted for a crime if the victim doesn’t want to press charges?

My girlfriend and I had a fight, so her sister called the cops. I was arrested byt my girlfriend doesn’t want to press charges.

Asked on November 3, 2018 under Criminal Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

It is not up to th evictim as to whether or not criminal charges are dropped; it is up to the state. Therefore, if there is enough evidence to support a conviction, then even without the victim's cooperation the case can go forward. The fact is that in domestic violence cases, many times the accused tries to intimidate the victim into not filing a criminal complaintor cooperating with the authorities. At this point, you should consult with a local criminal law attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption