Can you sell a house if you do a quit claim deed and the other party is removed?

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 29, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you sell a house if you do a quit claim deed and the other party is removed?

I wanted to see if I can sell a house after a quit claim deed is signed and the other party is removed. If not, what can I do to transfer the property fully under my name and have the option to sell it by myself?

Asked on June 29, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I wish that you would have given a little more information as to what the circumstances are here so that more guidance can be given.  Although a quitclaim deed is a valid deed it is not "the best" deed around.  A warranty deed of some sort is generally the better of the deeds.  But it is a valid deed and if it is properly executed and recorded (filed) properly with all the fees, etc., paid, then the property is essentially and legally yours to do with as you please.  So yes, you can then go ahead and sell it if you so choose. Please make sure that the deed is properly executed and everything is on the up and up. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption