Can you reduce felony charge after completing probation?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you reduce felony charge after completing probation?

After being charged with child endangerment, a felony wobbler in my state, I was sentenced to 3 years probation. Now that I have completed probation successfully with no issues, am I able to file a motion under to get the felony reduced to


Asked on March 15, 2016 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You cannot reduce the charge because the conviction has already been set.  The only way you can undo a probation conviction is by filing a writ to challenge the conviction which resulted in your probation.... these are difficult, but not impossible.  A few years ago, several defendants successfully challenged their pleas of guilty on the basis that they were not made aware of the consequences of their plea....namely that they were at risk of deportation.  These are not slam dunk procedures.... but it is the main option, and sometimes only option, for challenging a sentence after pleading guity for being found guilty post appeal. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption