Can you obtain a gun permit with a sealed felony record?

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 9, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you obtain a gun permit with a sealed felony record?

I have a sealed juvenile record with multiple felonies on it. I know that in my state you cannot possess a firearm if you have a felony conviction but if your record is sealed, with that change anything? /in NY.

Asked on February 9, 2012 under Criminal Law, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

My understanding of New York law is that not all felony convictions of a person preclude him or her from obtaining a gun permit for a firearm. Certain convictions do. Likewise, under New York law, unless the prior juvenile conviction was a serious felony conviction (involuntary manslaughter for example) you would be allowed to obtain a firearm.

The sealed juvenile records most likely will not be caught with respect to the prior felony convictions assuming they are such to prevent possession of a firearm for an adult crime based upon my experience.

I suggest that you make your application and be truthful in your answers and see what the result is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption