Can you loose your civil rightsdue toa juvenile record?

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you loose your civil rightsdue toa juvenile record?

I am trying to find out if any of my civil rights where taken away when I was charged with a juvenile felony record. I completed my program, probation, etc. however, I was charged with adjudicated delinquent. It has been almost 7 years since my arrest and I haven’t had any issues since then. I know that I have the right to vote (as I do regularly) but am unsure with the rest of my civil rights. I keep reading something about at the age of 24 or 26 (depending on the circumstances) your FL juvenile record is wiped clean or something of that nature. Should I speak with a criminal alw attorney about this? In Tampa, FL

Asked on August 19, 2011 Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not any Constitutional Rights that you may have had such as the right to vote or own firearms as having been taken away as a result of a juvenile felony convicition most likely were not taken away since the conviction pertained to when you were a juvenile.

However, to be in the safe side and get a more definitive answer to your question, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney about your question further as well as bring him or her a copy of your conviction and criminal file assuming you have it.

You also might consider having a process to expunge the juvenile convicition even though your file is sealed.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption