Can you hire a lawyer from California to represent you in a case in Louisiana ?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you hire a lawyer from California to represent you in a case in Louisiana ?

Friend was arrested and I need to know what lawyer
to hire. He was arrested in California for a crime they
suspected him of doing in Louisiana. They are going
to transport him to Louisiana later today. I need to
know what kind of legal representation he can get.

Asked on November 18, 2017 under Criminal Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Although you can retain an attorney in one state to represent your friend in another state, it would be preferable to retain an attorney in the same state as where the case is located.
If you retain an attorney in a different state, travel expenses for the attorney will be a considerable amount.  Also, the attorney from another state might not be familiar with local rules of court.
Therefore, it is advisable to retain a criminal defense attorney in Louisiana where the case will be heard.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption