If my wife is avoiding being served, canI still get divorced?

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 28, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife is avoiding being served, canI still get divorced?

I served my wife divorce papers via certified mail 30 days ago. Since then I learned that she never picked them up. I am planning to remarry in about 4 months. Does this mean that I can not get a divorce from her? We have been separated for more than 7 years. She lives in PA and I moved to NC over 18 months ago. Can this help my case? What is my next step? How long will it take?

Asked on June 28, 2011 under Family Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I think that it may be time for you to seek help from an attorney in your area.  If your wife is avoiding service (and honestly I am not sure that certified mail is considered proper service in North Carolina) then you may want to inquire as postponing the wedding.  If she is contesting the divorce this can go on forever.  Even though you have been separated for 7 years, some people do not like it when their spouse has moved on and is happy again.  They want to continue to make your life miserable.  And the best way to do that is to postpone your happiness by contesting the divorce. Seek help.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption