Can you have one case number at the city court and then another case number when it goes to grand jury?

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 2, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you have one case number at the city court and then another case number when it goes to grand jury?

It is the same charge which is DUI but the city court docket say felony 4 and then when it went to grand jury on the docket it says felony 3 which is what he was charged with. This doesn’t make sense.

Asked on January 2, 2014 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You need to carefully look at the complaint number as to the charge filed with you in the County Superior Court and that will tell you what charge you have against you. At the arraignment you will be advised of the charge or charges against you. I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to represent you. One in your locality can be found on From what you have written about, you have been charged with a third degree felony.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption