Can you get locked out of your apartment without any notification?

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you get locked out of your apartment without any notification?

About 3 days ago, my mom went to pay my rent because the apartment office is open the hours that I work. They refused because they said they were starting the eviction process. Then, 2 days later, I was stopped by one of the security guards on my way home and he told me there was a dead-bolt on my door and a sticker. I received no notice about this nor any indication that I would be locked out. All they told my mom was that they were starting the eviction process. I plan on having the money either today or the day after tomorrow but I have had to sleep on my mom’s floor for the past 2 days and I have not had access to any of my clothing, groceries or my dog’s food.

Asked on June 20, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Nevada


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, what you describe is not how evictions work in your state. First, there must be notice posted on your door or given to you from the court, giving you a certain number of days to leave and effectively giving you a chance to contest  the eviction in court. Then the lock-out has to be done after the date given in the notice, with the assistance of a sheriff's deputy or other court officer (not just by the landlord). What you have described appears to be an illegal eviction: contact the court clerk's office to ask how to contest an illegal lock-out, and/or contact Legal Services to see if they can help (or retain a private landlord-tenant attorney to assist). Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption