Can you get fired for not doing a task at work that might hurt or injure you

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you get fired for not doing a task at work that might hurt or injure you

If you was allergic to fish and you put
that on your application and they say
don’t worry about and now they are
trying to make you prep it knowing you
will get sick.

Asked on May 2, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Arizona


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you have a medically provably allergy (e.g. diagnosed by a doctor, so you could back its existence up), they can't fire you for this: the law requires employers to make "reasonable accommodations" to employee health and medical conditions, and a reasonable accommodation would be to let you do other things than prep the food you are allergic to. If you can prove the existence of your allergy and they try to take action against you, contact the federal EEOC or your state's equal/civil rights agency to file a complaint/

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption