Can you get an extended timeif you have a 10-day vacate notice?

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you get an extended timeif you have a 10-day vacate notice?

We were serviced with a notice to vacate 5 days ago. The document states, “You will take notice that under the provisions of AR Code Ann. Section 18-16-101, your failure to vacate the premises within Ten (10) days of the date of this notice will constitute a misdemeanor”. How can I get an extension for a few days?

Asked on August 22, 2011 Arkansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The best way to get an extension to vacate the unit you were served the notice with is to contact the person sending it, ask for a written extension, sign any agreement memorializing such and keep a copy of it for future reference.

Technically, most notices to vacate even though dated a certain date, but actually served personally upon a person several days later do not legally have the start time to leave the property until the date actually served. That way the time to vacate starts running on the actual service date of the notice.

Most likely the person sending the notice will agree to a new departure date in writing if you sign it in that such an agreement takes the uncertainties out of having the eviction completed.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption