What happens if my wife won’t sign the divorce papresIserved herher?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What happens if my wife won’t sign the divorce papresIserved herher?

I filed for a divorce already, but she won’t sign the papers. Should I have the sheriff serve her or is there an alternative?

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Let me clarify a few things.  You yourself served your wife or you had her served?  Parties to actions do not generally serve other parties to actions.  You need  to read the statute for service in your state but generally speaking anyone else can serve her as long as they do it legally (i.e., according to the law in your state). Sometimes people hire service s that do it professionally.  Once he is properly served then you probably have to file the affidavits of service.  Then you wait the statutory time for service of an answer and then when she does not file an answer, you can move for a default.  Please get some advice.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption