Can you edit an expired ‘Lease with Option to Purchase’ contract to use for the sale of a home

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you edit an expired ‘Lease with Option to Purchase’ contract to use for the sale of a home

Lease ended in 2017 and have been following the same lease since then even though it was expired. We are wanting to use that lease as the sale contract for a rental home as the owner is giving credit towards the purchase price. We edited the expiration date from Oct 2017 to Dec 2018 and added in the credit towards purchase. I want to make sure what we are doing is legal.

Asked on December 3, 2018 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Any written agreement, whether written from scratch, downloaded from the Internet, or edited from an existing agreement, is legal to use so long as the terms are clear and both parties (so, both sides) show that they understand and agree to them, such as by signing the agreement once it is finalized.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption