Can you collect temporary disability and unemployment?

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 29, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you collect temporary disability and unemployment?

I am collecting unemployment as the result of my job closing and loss of work. I will be needing surgery and out for at least 2 months. Can I collect temporary disability and my unemployment?

Asked on October 29, 2010 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

If you have an unemployment claim and become disabled during the benefit year, you may be paid disability benefits against that claim. If you do not have an unemployment claim, the filing of a Disability During Unemployment claim will start a benefit year for you.  If you are collecting unemployment benefits and become disabled, notify the Division of Unemployment Insurance, immediately (contact the Division of Temporary Disability Insurance, PO Box 387, Trenton, New Jersey 08625-0387, (609) 292-7060 directly).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption