Can you change what you’ve told the police?

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you change what you’ve told the police?

When the police call you in for questioning, can you change the answers you gave at that time? Particularly if they called you in at a time when you would normally be asleep, and you were completely out of your mind and stressed the whole time. Is there any basis for having evidence thrown out based on being confused?

Asked on September 15, 2011 under Criminal Law, Kansas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You need to seek legal counsel in your area and speak with them about this matter.  And you need to go in to the questioning with the attorney by your side.  Changing the story that you told to the police is not a good thing.  If there were valid reasons why you were not in the right frame of mind the first time around - although I do not really know what "out of your mind" means here and how it relates to lying to the police -  then they are best asserted by an attorney on your behalf.  Believe me: it will not be good for you to go it alone here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption