Can you change a divorce settlement agreement after it has been signed by both parties?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you change a divorce settlement agreement after it has been signed by both parties?

My ex-husband owes me money from the divorce. At the time I agreed to him paying only $50 a month. Our divorce has been final for 10 months and he has only paid me once. Can I take him back to court and get all the money he owes at once instead of payments?

Asked on October 20, 2011 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You can take your ex-husband to court to enforce the terms of your divorce settlement.  The judge will decide whether to order full payment at once or other payment arrangements.  If your ex-husband violates court orders, he can be subject to civil and/or criminal penalties.  It would also be advisable to ask the judge for a wage garnishment to insure that you will receive payment from your ex-husband.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption