Can you be evicted out of your mom’s house if you pay rent?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you be evicted out of your mom’s house if you pay rent?

I really want to know if you’re contributing financially to your mother’s household, can you be served an eviction notice. What exactly are the steps she would have to take to kick me out and am I allowed to have guest being that I live there and pay her to live there?

Asked on August 22, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Sounds like touchy times at your home.  So if you call your contribution "rent" and you have no formal lease, you would be considered a "month to month" tenant.  Your Mother would have to give you one month's notice (starting from the first of the month or what ever date you started paying, like the 15th to the 15th) and if you did not leave after that one month was up she could serve you with a notice of eviction.  Can you have guests over?  I would think so.  Maybe it is time to find your own place.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption