Can you be charged with a theft crime inone stateif the actual crime was committed in another?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you be charged with a theft crime inone stateif the actual crime was committed in another?

I worked for a company out of PA as a sale rep and they accused me in W VA.

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Criminal Law, West Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, one can be charged with a crime in one particular state in this country if the allegations are that the plan and actual course of conduct leading to the theft actually occurred in an adjoining state. Whether the charges will be proved in that one state where the actual theft of the item did not occur remains to be seen depending upon the criminal statute one is charged with and the distruct attorney's office meeting its burden of proof of beyond a reasonable doubt.

You should be concerned about the possibility of federal charges concerning the alleged theft in that crossing state lines of different states could lead to charges under federal law.

From what you have written, it sounds that you may need to consult with a criminal defense attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption