Can you be charged for failure to appear in court if you already paid the fine but the payment was lost?

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you be charged for failure to appear in court if you already paid the fine but the payment was lost?

Today at work I was arrested for failure to appear in court. When the cops put me in cuffs, I had no idea what I had done. Turns out I had a warrant out for missing a court date over a fishing without a license charge. I was taken straight to jail and told nothing.And the worst part is that I paid my ticket long before my scheduled court date. Here’s the part that’s even more fish – this court date that I was supposedly supposed to attend was 10 months ago. Since then, I have had 2 jobs that background checked and cleared me with no mention of a warrant. Can I fight this?

Asked on June 7, 2011 under Criminal Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes of course you can fight anything but what is the "this" you want to fight?  What was the final disposition?  Is the matter still pending?  You may need some help here.  I am hoping that you have a record of the payment made and that you have a cancelled check of some sort or somehing stamped by the court.  Once you have the proof I would consult with an attorney in the area about speaking with the court and with the Prosecutor's office.  He or she can have the charge dismissed. As for the handcuffing, you were embarrassed I am sure. If it is actionable is for an attorney in your area to advise.  An apology and explanation to your boss to say the least.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption