Can you be banned for employment if you applied for a job within a company you shoplifted from?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can you be banned for employment if you applied for a job within a company you shoplifted from?

Even as a minor 7 years ago?

Asked on October 2, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

No one is required to hire you. If you shoplifted (even as a minor) and either the people knew (i.e., had a record) or for some reason your minor records still show up on background checks, then the employer can absolutely ban you from employment.  Crimes like shoplifting are serious business for companies and when seeking employees, an employer looks for an individual who is trustworthy. You will not be seen as trustworthy in the eyes of the employer if it knows you shoplifted anywhere, especially its own store.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption