Can we use our bond to pay last 2 weeks rent?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can we use our bond to pay last 2 weeks rent?

We gave our 2 weeks notice yesterday with a letter stating “by not providing us with a receipt for our bond of 2 weeks rent you have not adhered to the signed flatmate agreement therefore we will use our bond to pay our last 2 weeks rent”. the day after giving this letter they gave us a receipt and demanded we pay the rent. can they do this? It states in the flatmate agreement we will be provided with a receipt, we moved in 4 months ago.

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Real Estate Law, New York


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Leases are enforceable against both parties. If the lease did not  allow you to simply move out and sue the "bond" (I believe you mean security deposit) as rent, the landlord may demand that you pay, and sue you if necessary for it. Moreover, unless the lease allowed you to move out on two weeks notice, the landlord may hold you liable for the *full* remaining balance of the lease term--e.g. if there are 4 months remaining on your lease, he could hold  you liable for  4 months of rent. (Note: that while landlords have the ability to use security deposits for unpaid rent, they are not required to do so; and if the deposit will not cover the entirety of unpaid rent, they can sue for the balance anyway.)

Also, while a *material* breach of contract may sometime excuse or justify the other party's nonperformance or termination of the contract (or lease), it is not likely that a failure to provide a receipt would rise to the requisite level of materiality.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption